Personal ads have long been the place for crazies, psychos, and stalkers to find their victims, and for years, women have been advised to always meet in a public place, never give out your phone number, etc. Today, personal ad respondents are given similar advice in websites such as this one.
So does this mean you have to be afraid of every personal ad you see on Craiglist? Not at all. The majority of them are just nice people who sincerely believe they will find love by actively searching for it. Whenever S and I get together at Costa, a favorite pastime is to peruse through the personals just to see what's out there. Here is a random sampling of some things men have said about themselves in ads. We found them amusing and we hope you do, too.
- I like pie.
- I like my meat well done.
- I like hanging out with my car.
- I can give you tall children with nice teeth.
- I am skinny.
- I want to learn more languages because it is important for everyone to have 2 tongues.
- (This guy was offering to marry someone so they could get US citizenship and asked for) Interested parties only.
- I want to bang sexy egipt (sic) lady.
- I cook, I'm fit, I'm a macho man. Here is my pic (below ad was a picture of the poster in pink shorts).
- I live by my won (sic) and have traveled.
- 45 years old man search for a waife (sic). (Cambridge International Dictionary's definition of WAIF: a child or animal without a home or enough care, people without anywhere to stay for various reasons.)
- I will marry you for the sum of $50,000 USD. I have a 10 inch endowment.
- Nice gay (sic) looking for good women.
- Be bug free.
- Would love to smoke if you have some.
- Generous gifts are available if needed.
- Do you need honestly relationship.
- E-mail me and I will reply fast like in 30 minutes.
- Let's to water together the love flower.
There's someone out there for everyone!